Beyond the numbers: why local data matter to media
In today’s world, we are online more than ever with an almost 24/7 global news stream within reach. This has ups and downs: e.g.journalists don’t always have the time or means to dig into the amount of handed information and look for story angles that match their audiences’ interests. As every cloud has a silver lining: brands have the opportunity to offer media the tailored and tangible content pieces they are looking for. How? By committing to customized surveys for local data.
Thought-leadership, broader media scope and more
Those studies are the bread and butter of market research companies such as Ipsos, InSites Consulting, GfK and iVOX. In combination with a partner like that – Walkie Talkie manages and consults clients from A to Z, brands can offer media valuable content. News pieces with a touch of local numbers and take-aways that transcend your everyday product launch or business news announcement are appealing both to journalists and consumers.
Brands benefit from surveys too, in more ways than one, by:
- Positioning themselves as thought-leaders in their domain to Belgian media, by providing valuable insights unknown to or unthought of by competitors.
- Addressing other media types than a brand’s usual suspects, broadening their scope.
- Hitting two birds with one stone by distilling multiple press releases from one survey.
- Seizing the moment by communicating in periods with few broad news stories such as during the summer.
It is safe to say that local data and take-aways are attractive formats for both journalists and consumers, and a must for brands to consider. Take it from our close contact Rik Hannes, Insights Sales Officer at iVOX Leuven: ‘Surveys create powerful consumer insights, newsworthy branded stories and media campaigns driven by a strong focus on connecting with consumers. Its power lies in the fact that it provides a multitude of interactive conversation and feedback channels with brands and media.’
As actions speak louder than words, here are some examples of our clients:
- Grohe, the world’s leading supplier of sanitary equipment, communicated about 9 surprising shower facts about the Belgians. This included a comparison between provinces, gender and age, and generated buzz across national lifestyle media.
- For VLAM’s project ‘Week Van De Friet’, we set up a media outreach stuffed with facts about Belgian – not French! – fries. In 2019, the spotlight was on how, where and when people devour their fries – generating mass coverage, including for instance on Karrewiet’s Instagram.
- Colora & BOSS paints: take-aways from a study on the colours of people’s interior, and the reasoning behind it, scored big time last summer. The numbers were featured in both general and lifestyle press and in print editions of specialised interior design media.
Interested in finding out how Walkie Talkie can help your company to offer media tailored and tangible content pieces, address other media types and position your brand as a thought-leader all in one? Please reach out to us via email@example.com or +32 (0)9 391 60 63. We don’t bite.